If you are looking for a STEM lesson that is both fun and engaging then look no further then simple machines. Kids will love to learn about all the variations of the 6 types of simple machines all around them. Don’t forget to add in Read-And-Find-Out Simple Machines as your read aloud while discovering a new way to look at the world around you.
A Simple Plan for a Simple Machines Lesson
Eyes wide and a big smile, my daughter approached our dining room table, seeing knowing a fun day was ahead. How could school be anything less than brilliant fun with an array of K’nex, Legos, and books on building simple machines? Regardless of your lesson focus or what you are studying in science, taking a day out to mix things up doesn’t have to be complicated or take a lot of prep. Here’s what you need for a fun day!
- Simple Machines, Let’s Read and Find Out: Start out with a lesson on what simple machines are and how they help. Your child will learn all about the six types of simple machines and what types he can find around the house and community. This book will introduce your child to vocabulary and kid-friendly yet thorough explanation of each type of machine.
- Building tools: You can choose a variety of STEM sets to give your child a visual and hands-on demonstration of the types of simple machines.
- Build Your Own Simple Machines: If you have a set or you want an added challenge, you can build your own simple machines from household items.
- Play Simple Machines Scavenger Hunt: Now that your child understands the concept and has experience seeing and building simple machines, challenge him to find examples of the 6 types around the house, playground, or community! Download this FREE printable and get hunting!
Gather all your kids together and explore levers, pulleys, screws, and more for an afternoon. If you have children of multiple ages and stages, this is a perfect opportunity to all share and discover together. Divide the kids into teams to compete in a contest to create one of the six simple machines.
Resources for Your Simple Lesson on Simple Machines
Simple Machines (Let’s-Read-and-Find-Out Science 2)Engino Discovering STEM Simple Machines Mechanisms That Multiply Force Construction KitLearning Resources Stem Simple Machines Activity SetLearning Resources Simple Machines, Set of 5K’NEX Education – Intro to Simple Machines: Levers and Pulleys Set – 178 Pieces – For Grades 3-5 – Construction Education ToyExplore Simple Machines!: With 25 Great Projects (Explore Your World)Ignition Series Physics Simple MachinesLearning Resources Simple Machines Activity Cards SetEarly Simple Machines for Kindergarten STEM by LEGO Education DUPLOPull, Lift, and Lower: A Book About Pulleys (Amazing Science: Simple Machines)Simple Machines : The Way They Work – Physics Books for Kids | Children’s Physics BooksLego Education Simple Machines Set # 9689
Latest posts by Richele (see all)
- The Real Reason You are Frustrated Homeschooling Your Dyslexic Child - May 10, 2018
- Math Doesn’t Have to be a Struggle - April 4, 2018
- The Good and The Beautiful: History Curriculum Review - February 28, 2018