- No frills. Straightforward. Simple to use and implement.
- One program for all ages. Suggestions for proper use for each age group.
- Teaches from a solid Orton-Gillingham method.
- The phonogram is associated with the sound so the letter becomes the image. This is especially important for dyslexics.
- Lessons teach phonics, phonograms, spelling, dictation, and grammar.
- As the name of the program suggests it is taught in a logical and orderly fashion.
- All sounds for a vowel are taught at one time. This is to prevent confusion and frustration when a child learns short “a” and then must adjust to long “a”. Again, this is very important for dyslexics. A child will actually have to unlearn and relearn phonics to master the concept of “a” sounds if not taught at one time.
- Incorporates multi-sensory learning which is key for dyslexics.
- The site has videos on the Orton-Gillingham method to give you a better understanding of how to teach.
- Spelling journals, phonetic cards, and games, are sold separately, so you can build the system that will work for you.
- Minimal to moderate teacher prep.
- Step by step instructions on how to teach the lessons.
2. Reading Horizons
- Offers online and offline materials which can be used together or separately.
- Uses the Orton-Gillingham method.
- Can be used for all levels of reading from emerging to struggling.
- Separated into different age and level categories.
- The site offers webinars and tips on using their curriculum.
- The site offers customers videos teaching each lesson of the new Discovery program. This makes teaching the material foolproof.
- Moderate teacher prep.
- Full program comes with phonics cards, game ideas, posters, and more!
- Reader books tailor-made to the course materials.
- Customer service is top notch.
- Step by step instruction on how to teach each lesson.
- Begins at the earliest level of reading. (preK)
- The program is based on the Orton-Gillingham method.
- A multi-sensory approach which is key for dyslexics.
- Teacher’s manuals are easy to understand and incorporate.
- Children’s workbooks are engaging and effective.
- Reader books that are tailor-made to the course materials.
- The site is filled with useful information and help on teaching and understanding the method of the program.
- Offers a CD with phonics so both teacher and student can be confident with the sounds.
- Stickers and reward charts keep children motivated.
- Full set comes with everything you need to begin.
- Moderate teacher prep.
- Step by step instructions on how to teach each lesson.
- For grades Pre-K to 2nd/3rd grade.
Graphic Designer, Branding Consultant at RM Design Services & Branding Stylist
RIchele is a homeschooling mom of 4 children ranging in age from 8 to 19 years old. She has a collegiate background in educational psychology which did little to prepare her for grading math papers while making dinner. After admitting to a font addiction and many hex colored dreams, she created RM Design Services & Branding Stylist, where she creates printables, media kits, and more to help women create their best online presence through design.
Top Apps for Dyslexia
Math Mammoth GIVEAWAY - 3 Winners to Win a Full Set of Grades 1-7 Math Curriculum!
Learning to Read in Preschool with My Jolly Phonics
5 Good Reasons to Study Shakespeare in Your Homeschool
Printable Dyslexia Helps for YOU Plus a FREE Bonus
Teach Spanish in a Simple, Effective and Affordable Way & Enter the GIVEAWAY!
The Most Comprehensive, Teacher Friendly, All-In-One Reading Program on the Homeschool Market
High School Homeschool Math Curriculum without Tears or Fear