**This post contains Amazon affiliate links and cookie installing links. You are not required to purchase through these links but if you do the small commission that we make helps to keep this website running and our families fed. We thank you for reading Talking Mom2Mom. For more information please see our disclosure page.
If you haven’t celebrated Reformation Day before, this is the year to do it. This October 31, 2017 marks the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. If you are unfamiliar with Church history, on October 31, 1517, Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany. This historical moment is considered the spark of The Protestant Reformation. It is increasingly what many Christians celebrate on October 31st.
In celebration of Reformation Day last year, our family read the book When Lightning Struck!, written by Danika Cooley. When Lightning Struck! is a historical fiction novel based on the life of Martin Luther. In a day where our youth are becoming increasingly ignorant of the people and events that form our Church History, Danika has brought to life this real-life epic adventure in which fresh eyes might become familiar with ancient truths.
What Lessons Does When Lightning Struck! Teach?
- CHURCH HISTORY: When Lightning Struck! covers a very important part of our Church History in a very exciting and engaging way. You can tell that the author has spent years researching the life of Martin Luther. It is very thorough in its inclusion of historically documented accounts concerning the life of Martin Luther, the corruption of the Catholic Church, and the struggles of those living during the Medieval time period. My husband and I think of ourselves as being fairly well versed in Church History and there were some events that I didn’t even know had happened in the life of Martin Luther. It was both entertaining and educational, not just for the kids, but for me as well.
- LIFE LESSONS: The author did not pull punches when it came to Martin Luther’s flaws. The man had a temper, but you can see how God used Martin Luther’s flaws for God’s ultimate glory. This is a fantastic lesson for children to see how God can use them no matter their abilities or limitations. We are all sinners saved by God’s grace. God can and does use us in our redeemed yet still being sanctified state to do His work. This is a humbling truth.
- THE GOSPEL: In When Lightning Struck! you will be confronted with the Gospel over and over again. The author pulls you into Martin Luther’s struggle between works versus God’s grace for salvation. You become indignant alongside Martin Luther as you read of the corruption in the Catholic Church. You will find yourself deeply saddened by the heart-wrenching trials faced by those trying to preserve the Gospel, while at the same time elated at God’s victories through them. This is not just an adventure story. When Lightning Struck! gives insight into the life of Martin Luther and all those who supported him to bring God’s Word to the people and out from under the thumb of the Catholic Church.
A Living Book
Are you familiar with the term “living books”? I was first introduced to this term about two years ago. As a homeschooler, we hear it mentioned often in both the Classical and Charlotte Mason methods of education. A living book is one that is highly engaging. It is written on a specific subject and in a conversational or narrative style, bringing the subject to life. A living book stands in stark contrast to a textbook which contains all of the information on one subject but is written in a very dry, structured style just to convey basic facts and information pertaining to the subject.
When Lightning Struck! is a living book in every sense of the term. The author has such a passion for the Gospel and how God preserved it through the life of Martin Luther. By reading this story aloud as a family or handing it to your older child for some independent reading, you can feel confident that you are adding a historically-accurate, Gospel-affirming, educational resource to your home library.
Want to learn more about When Lightning Struck! from its author, Danika Cooley? Check out the video below!
Order the hardcover version of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther on Amazon TODAY
for ONLY $10.94! CLICK HERE to purchase.
FREE Martin Luther 12 Week Unit Study
As an added BONUS, Danika has provided a FREE 12 Week Unit Study for grades 6-12 to be used alongside her book, When Lightning Struck! You can download your copy of this HERE.
The Five Solas
Go in depth leading up to the anniversary of the Protestant Reformation by studying the slogans popularized by the Reformers during the Protestant Reformation known as, The Five Solas.
I had the honor or authoring this unique 7 day family Bible Study with Danika Cooley, author of When Lightning Struck! It contains more than 50 pages of structured history and Bible-based lessons, fun activities, and corresponding educational crafts that teach the Gospel using The Five Solas. These slogans are based on biblical truths and sound doctrine. Knowing and understanding the Five Solas is important for your children–it will help them to read and apply Scripture to their lives.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE about The Five Solas: Signs to Follow on the Narrow Path Family Bible Study.
Latest posts by Lindsey S (see all)
- Cultivating Family Traditions on Reformation Day - October 31, 2018
- Ten Men that Led the Protestant Reformation: A Church History Lesson for Children - October 25, 2018
- How to Teach Your Child to Think Like an Innovator - September 13, 2018